Old November 30th 10, 03:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Nordic Breeds[_2_] Nordic Breeds[_2_] is offline

Default Yeasu FT 101EE

"Scott" wrote in message
.. .
On 11-29-2010 15:22, gainor67 wrote:
For sale yeasu FT101EE with 601 counter,extra tubes,manuals
and primo desk microphone. $550.00 + shipping or $500.00
local pick-up.

Wow, has the price of tubes gone way up? You can buy a new solid state
ricebox with all bands up to 440 (sadly minus 222) for just a bit
more...I better dust off my old Kenwood 520S. I tried to sell it for
$300 a couple years ago (at a hamfest where people could even see it!)
and not even a bite....or even a lowball offer

It only has three tubes... a 12BY7 and two 6JS6C's.

For some reason the Yaesu FT-101 rigs got a large cult following with the
"freeband" illegal CB crowd - probably because they had an 11 meter
position on the bandswitch (receive only) and it only took a trivial
effort to get it to transmit there. They also had AM. In fact, I
believe there were more of these rigs sold to CB'ers than to hams.

I can remember one fellow who brought his Yaesu into the shop where I
worked during graduate school. He put in new tubes but did not know how
to neutralize the finals. I told him that the only way I would work on
it was if I restored the radio to its original condition. He agreed,
saying that even _he_ could modify it back the way it was. I learned
that one nearby CB'er even had a Collins S-line transmitter and receiver
on 11 meters!

73, Barry WA4VZQ