Old November 30th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus[_2_] D. Peter Maus[_2_] is offline

Default Now that the dust has settled, why was the Eton E1XM really dropped?

On 11/30/10 12:20 , Alexander O'Neil wrote:

Exactly what were the top three main reasons it was discontinued?

Eton isn't saying, directly. I've asked. Only got a confirmation
that it was being discontinued. Nothing more.

The reason a radio comes out of production, especially this
radio, can be wide and varied. Low sales usually tops the list. This
is an expensive radio to produce. There simply may not have been
sufficient interest to keep the line alive.

In the case of this particular radio, parts availability had
stalled production for more than a decade. The processor chip, in
particular, discontinued prior to production as Sat 900, was quite a
seemingly insurmountable problem.

A similar snag in chip availability would require a retooling of
the motherboard, which, given low sales would be cost prohibitive.

Then, again, the radio was in production for a couple of years.
That's a long run for some models with mediocre sales. The
production strategy may simply have run its course.

But, until Eton speaks definitively on the subject, ANY
conversation is strictly speculative.

Should I seek out one? Or just be happy with my Sony 2010 which works
fine.

One cannot have TOO many radios.

If I can find a new one, or a refurbished one for $300.00 would that
be a good deal?

The Eton line is not known for robust support. Or support with
mulitiple options. There is no service data published for this
radio. And parts availability is limited to items that may be self
serviced without technical expertise, like antennae, knobs,
adaptors, and external components. Before you buy, verify that 1)
YOU are capable of servicing this radio, or 2) that factory support
exists.

As to price....that's entirely a matter of your desire to own
one. $300 was a street retail price new. A refurb, or NOS should be
prices less.