Old December 3rd 10, 06:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default TUBE Cooling? Yes or No?

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Plotus wrote:
-B. The info on sheilding is good to know, I'll start
with a replacement

OD3, (I have two coming from an ebay supplier) and go from
there since I
have no test equiptment. If that fails, I'll look into the
power supply
issue. And probably contact the fella I spoke of above who
works on tube
radios.

There's nothing wrong with the OD3. Go buy a good
multimeter..
--scott

Same here, your regulator tube is fine, its not lighting
because the high voltage isn't there. You need a decent
voltmeter. You can get a cheap one that will be good enough
to track down this problem as Radio Shack for a few dollars.
If you have a shorted filter capacitor running the set as
with it is gambling with the power transformer. Without some
measuring tools you are stuck. The handbook for the receiver
is available at the BAMA reflector, do a Google search for
BAMA. The handbook has a voltage and resistance chart in it
which will help isolate the problem.
The HQ-120-X was a very good receiver in its day and
still holds up very well, it is well worth the effort to
repair. Beside which its sexy looking.
I have just been working on its successor the HQ-129-X,
which is very similar and am quite pleased with it.
If you don't know anything about electronic trouble
shooting see if you can get some help from someone local.
Power supply problems are fundamental and, in something as
simple as this receiver, are not hard to find.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles