Old February 1st 04, 01:40 PM
Gary S.

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:21:57 -0500, Eskay
wrote:

There is only one good and safe way to do this.
Buy a Klein Unibit drill ( there are other makes too ) Step tapered from
1/8 inch to 1/2 inch. They do a nice clean job and the holes are always
round.

That was the name of the step drill I was thinking of. Home Depot does
in fact have them, several versions with varying sizes. They also vary
as to material thickness capability (the rise between steps).

Very nice product. About $20-25 USD each.

The tapered reamer is in my opinion an antique and looks like too much hard
work. Home Depot should have the Unibit.
73 de Eskay.

This would work, but is hacky. With thin aluminum in particular, it is
very hard to get a good looking round hole with these.

If your time is worth more than minimum wage, it is very cost
effective to buy and use the right tool for the job.

If you have friends with similar tool needs, you can extend your range
of tools by borrowing back and forth.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA