Old December 8th 10, 05:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Balcony Antenna for Shortwave Listening

On 08 Dec 2010 00:45:41 GMT, Sébastien MEDARD wrote:

But, before that I just wanted to know what would be a good antenna, or
good antennas for where I live.

Hi Sebastien,

The best is the one that will be as high as possible. Length should
be 5 to 10 meters. Orientation should be broadside to the stations
you want to listen to. You should have a choke (W2DU style BalUn)
connected at the feedpoint. One example shown at:
http://www.n0ss.net/qrp_1-1_w2du_coaxial_balun.pdf

You should think of more than one antenna (maybe one vertical, one
horizontal).

Paying attention to your ground is important, but if you live upstairs
in an apartment, then think dipole (even if one side is vertical -
where the horizontal wire would be called a "long-wire").

By the way...... What would be a good antenna tuner for a SWL? Any advice
for a brand? Any advice for a good DIY kit?

The price you could pay is not a predictor of performance. Look at
the schematic on the last page of:
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/man/pdf/MFJ-902.pdf
It can be built from parts for less than $100. It basically
represents the most flexible design, but there are other useful
designs. Even there, with a good switching design you could use the
same components to build them too. (I am thinking of PI
configuration, L, and so on).

Old AM (tube) radio parts are perfect for building your own tuner.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC