Old December 10th 10, 02:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wimpie[_2_] Wimpie[_2_] is offline

Default Balcony Antenna for Shortwave Listening

On 8 dic, 00:11, Sébastien MEDARD wrote:
Hello,

I am a complete newbie in SWL.

At fourth floor (last one) of a building, I get a balcony where I could
put an antenna for ham and broadcast reception (SWL). Well the balcony is
quite small, but quite comfortable too

Now, I get a poor wire from my flat to the ground (near the ground). It
gives me some night reception for broadcast from 500 KHz to 1500 MHz (it
is quite interesting, but quite limited too...). Except that, I get
nothing. Frustrating.

I planned to build some loop antennas, but first of all, I wanted to
focus on long wire antennas.

Please, give me your thoughts:

I am about to build a long wire antenna, but something quite different...
Like hand-held receivers antennas, I want to wrap 100 meters of standard
wire around on a 4cm (diameter) plastic tube (like a slinky antenna).

I get three different ways to do that:
- like the standard long wire, feeder on one side with a 9:1 balun
- like a dipole (feeder at the center)
- like a 1/4 wave (vertical one) with the steel fence for the ground and
to hang up the plastic tube. The fence itself is grounded.

What do you think about this type of antenna?

What about the reception efficiency of each kind of solution for all
bands between 500 KHz to 30 MHz?

Tell me if it is interesting to test that or I should not lose my time
and begin building a loop antenna?

Thanks.

Sebastien.

In French :

Hello,

Ma situation est la suivante. Au 4ème et dernier étage d'un immeuble, je
dispose d'un balcon sur lequel disposer une antenne pour recevoir les
émission broadcast et les émissions radio-amateur en HF. Evidemment,
c'est assez petit quoiqu'assez confortable.

Pour le moment, un vague fil pendouillait par le balcon, ce dernier
m'offrant un peu de réception, de nuit entre 500 Hz et 1500 MHz (c'est
pas inintéressant, mais c'est limité....). Sorti de ça, je n'ai rien.