Old February 3rd 04, 04:27 AM
Avery Fineman

In article , Paul Clay writes:

What's the best way/tool to cut or drill holes 1/8 inch to 5/16 inch in
diameter in thin gauge aluminum (for inserting potentiometers and
phono, power jacks, etc.)? I've tried using just a power drill and
genernal purpose drill bits and the results have been sort of ragged
(the edges of the hole are ragged and the process of drilling creates a
depression surrounding the drilled hole).

If it really is thin gauge aluminum, then I'd suggest a hand-operated
reamer to enlarge a hold from about 3/16" pilot hole. Those are
in general purpose tool stores and can typically go up to 1/2" dia.

Also, it builds up the lower arm muscles... :-)

What's a good technique for labeling front panel controls on a piece of
homebrew gear? Are there self adhesive labels or decals that
stick/wear really well?

There are still decals and press-on lettering kits in the electronics
stores but I prefer a better (but takes longer) process to insure that
normal fingering doesn't scratch or rub off the markings. Get some
1/16" thick (or thereabouts) plexiglass, lucite, even Lexan sheet
and use that for an overlay. The real markings can be done via PC
and inkjet or laser printer, black on white, or white on black, or even
with color. The clear cover sheet keeps the markings clean and
unblemished.

Takes some care to drill the acrylic sheet though, most need slower
speed cuttings and careful clamping to avoid fracturing when cutting
to size. Pilot-hole drill both the overlay and the front panel with the
overlay clamped onto the panel to insure good justification.

Len Anderson
retired (from regular hours) electronic engineer person