Old December 15th 10, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sébastien MEDARD Sébastien MEDARD is offline

Default SWL for Newbies (was: Balcony Antenna for Shortwave Listening)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:06:51 -0800, Richard Clark wrote:

On 13 Dec 2010 21:01:30 GMT, SĂ©bastien MEDARD wrote:

I understand better what is the purpose of this kind of map (on SDR-
Radio.com software for example). Where you can see an OM, you are pretty
sure to see this kind of map.

Hi SĂ©bastien,

If you mean the "gray line" map - yes.

There should free software displaying this gray line with UTC time, no?

This will reveal the "Law of Diminishing Returns" (the more you add,
the less you get back).

Interesting. What would be the best ratio?

You mean the best number of turns?

Economics is interesting too

RJELOOP3 *
Analysis of receiving, multi-turn, square, loop (or frame) antennas, ELF
to HF.

Can be find here :
http://www.zerobeat.net/G4FGQ/page3.html#S301

I will try to find one when they are cheaper.

Try:
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?au...%27s+Receiving

+Antenna+Handbook&lang=en&isbn=&submit=Begin
+search&new_used=*&destination=us&currency=USD&mod e=basic&st=sr&ac=qr

I found the "Receiving Antenna Handbook" quite cheap, but the "Loop
Antenna Handbook" is still expensive. Between $60 to $257... I will try
the cheapest.

OK. But today we probably ask more to radios than yesterday, no?

No, probably less. Being an OM, (40 years ago) I also taught classes
for repair and maintenance of Collins' famous receiver, the R-390. EVEN
NOW (40 years later), this is probably the best receiver for its price
(and even two to three times its price).

Do you calculate that in constant dollar from the 50's?

I can imagine the teaching class. Everybody with a Collin's in front of
him/her... A one year project to restore completely one of this legendary
radio. I would like that!

With a good DSP outside (Audio DSP only), can beat every other ones?

It seems not easy to get one, especially in Europe...

The real science of low noise is found in the distance to the source.

Lapalisse would have said exactly the same thing. He would have said
that the real science of good reception is found in the distance to the
source too )

So, my comment was a lapalissade? Certainly.

You got the picture

Sebastien.