Old December 16th 10, 09:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Stuart Longland VK4MSL Stuart Longland VK4MSL is offline

Default Im New here, help with recording

On Dec 4, 7:58*pm, benjm1995
wrote:
I was looking in going into amature radio broadcasting, I plan to order
my mic, mixer and all other cables. I was just wondering how to go about
recording my show? The laptop soundcard is not the greatest and I would
like to know if there is any cheap hardware £100 or lower to record for
a while into mp3 format?

Is this for online publication or for radio broadcast? As others have
suggested, you'll want to check what's permitted in your locality.
It's also worth pointing out that this newsgroup (yes, this is Usenet,
that comes as a surprise to some) is generally related to discussions
on radio experimentation. That said, microphones feature here too.

One thing I've found to be a real nuisance, particularly on some
Toshiba laptops, is internal noise pickup. The onboard sound
interface is notorious for picking up all kinds of interference from
50Hz humm from mains, through to PCI bus activity. A combination of
USB audio, and earthing the laptop chassis seems to work however.

When broadcasting via RF, it's also important to watch for RF feedback
into the transmitter's input. I've had this happen to me a couple of
times. A low-pass filter is needed to reject the high-frequency
signal being induced into the audio signal lines. Often, this is done
using ferrite suppression sleeves over the audio leads.

It also is wise to ensure there is separation between the transmitter,
and any receivers — I had a very interesting "ringing" effect by
accidence once when I had my FT-290RII, sitting on top of a FT-897D
tuned to the same frequency. The FT-897D was monitoring my uplink
whilst I was broadcasting the WIA news service on the FT-290R II (I'm
backup transmitter for the service on VK4RBN; 147.000MHz in Brisbane).

Despite the netbook being connected via an audio transformer straight
into the microphone port on the FT-290, I could hear this ringing
noise on the transmission. Turned the volume down on the FT-897D, and
the ringing went away.