Old December 16th 10, 09:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default LADDER LINE SPREADERS

On Dec 11, 10:06*pm, justme wrote:
Hey, Jimmie, that is what I thought about making.

Where did you get the fiberglass rope and how much was/is it?

Joe

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 08:10:15 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

wrote:
On Nov 2, 10:56*pm, justme wrote:
Hi, Folks.

I need ideas for CHEAP and uv stable, strong, light weight, waterproof
ladder line spreaders of about 4 or 5 inches wide. * Wood in any
configuration will not do. *PVC pipe will not do. *Welding rod would
do but it is expensive.

I was thinking of Fiberglas tape, twisted and put in place and then
resin applied but that is very cumbersome.

Any ideas out there?

Thank you.

I came by some glass rope (believe it was used for making fireproof
curtains) I saturated it in resin to make some fiberglass rods. I
would think other types of rope impregnated with resin may work, Ive
seen burlap successfully used *with resin so I am thinking *hemp rope
may work.

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

I came by it while demolishing a motel. A roll of green rope was in
storage there. Dont know what it would cost if I had to buy it. Hemp
rope is cheap if you can find some that is raw and not impregnated
with oil it should take resin pretty good. Fortunately the kind with
no oil is the cheapest. Ive experimented with rope made of paper,
soaking it with resin also made some rods I believe could be used for
your pupose. I never used them for anything but they I had a couple of
2m lengths outside for 5 or 6 years before disposing of them. I was
surprised at how well they held up. Im sure they would have done even
better if they had been painted.. Not sure of the cost but it should
be very inexpensive. Cost of the resin would be the biggest factor.

Jimmie