Old December 19th 10, 08:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe from Kokomo[_2_] Joe from Kokomo[_2_] is offline

Default Hello! Introduction and a few questions

On 12/19/2010 6:28 AM, Joe from Kokomo wrote:

...and I'll just bet -you- [JS] that you are not familiar with the
concept of "front end overload". More [antenna] is NOT always better.

On 12/19/2010 2:37 PM, John Smith wrote:

Actually, I am, you are quite wrong.

Well, hard to believe that you are familiar with front end overload as
you say; you had at least two posts touting a long antenna, which would
overload the particular radio the OP was asking about.

On 12/19/2010 2:37 PM, John Smith wrote:

However, we can be quite sure you are unfamiliar with narrow filters and
attenuators ... most likely, you don't even own one!

Bzzzzzttt! Wrong again!

Yes, I am familiar with narrow filters and attenuators -- BUT...this was
totally NON-applicable to the receiver the OP was addressing.

Furthermore, once the front end has reached overload, all the downstream
narrow filters in the world won't do any good.

And, yes, I do own a lot of radio stuff, from a 1912 loose coupler
crystal set to vacuum tube ham transmitters and receivers to the latest
solid state ham transceivers to vintage SWL/ham receivers. Heck, some
even have 500 and 250 Hz filters that I use for RTTY and CW contesting.

Regards,
JS

Feel free to have the last word...

Regards and happy holidays,