Old December 20th 10, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe from Kokomo[_2_] Joe from Kokomo[_2_] is offline

Default Hello! Introduction and a few questions

Joe from Kokomo wrote:
On 12/19/2010 2:51 AM, John Smith wrote:

I'll just bet you, people with a 30' ft antenna are often wondering why
they don't hear what people with 100+ ft antenna hear ... don't ya'
think? ROFLOL

Regards,
JS

...and I'll just bet -you- [JS] that you are not familiar with the
concept of "front end overload". More [antenna] is NOT always better.

On 12/19/2010 3:14 PM, Bob Dobbs wrote:

"More antenna" can be accommodated
with pre-selectors and attenuators,
whereas less antenna can only generate wishes.

OK Bob...please explain why I would want to go to the trouble of
building a longer antenna to get a stronger signal...and then attenuate
that signal before it gets to the receiver. Seems it would be easier and
cheaper to build a shorter (proper antenna for the rcvr in question) in
the first place.