Old December 20th 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default is there a way to test a SSB radio?

On Dec 20, 7:30*am, kyle williams kyle.williams.
wrote:
Bob Dobbs;726260 Wrote:

kyle williams wrote: -

hello, i am new to shortwave listening, i just got a kaito 1103, mainly
to receive weather fax while out on my boat in California, but I am in
utah now messing about with it, and I am wondering if 1)I just need
more
practice tuning, or 2)are there just no signals here I can hear, 3) or
is my radio faulty? *and how do I know which? I cannot seem to pull in
any signal I can recognize as a broadcast, with the exception of the
FMs
and MF AM stations local to my home here. (1160).

I have strung the wire antenna *about head high across several large
windows inside my house, which is a normal 1 story brick bungalow. (no
big steel beams or massive lead walls...). *I found a string of posts
on
this forum from 2006 with a fellow named Matt who described exactly
what
I am going through and there were several suggestions to him of how to
very carefully try to tune in, and I have been trying that, at all
hours
of the day and night, aware that many signals seem to propogate better
at dusk, dawn, and night.

is there any way to test whether my radio is faulty, or is it just me?

thanks and happy holidays
Kyle-

You should be able to receive more than KSL with even a minimum antenna..

try the eternal WWV freqs or some popular HAM water holes like 3840.
You didn't say if there was any white noise on those 'dead' bands, so
maybe
you've got a defective radio, do you even get static pops from a light
switch?
Maybe you could tune up to the "S" (****izens) band 27.185 for a test?

Hi Bob and thanks for the ideas. I should have been more plain, I do
hear copious and variable white noises that changes pitch and tone as I
tune. I can also watch the signal indicator rise and fall as I go
through the bands. and I forgot to mention that I did hear a very faint
and brief time stamp message on 15000, only once though, I can't seem to
get it to come in again.

we in the middle of a nasty storm here in Utah so I have not taken the
radio outside, but I will keep trying.
cheers
Kyle

--
kyle williams

KW,

Kaito 1103 Shortwave Radio with SSB
Dual Conversion Digital Display
http://www.kaitousa.com/KA1103.htm

Try the WWV & WWVH "Time Signal" in Double Side-Band
at 5.000 MHz and 10.000 MHz; besides 15.000 MHz

First Tune-in using AM Mode using the Wide Filter
Note - Make sure that the Fine-Tuning control is set
in the middle of it's range.
http://radiointel.net/radio-receiver...-kaito-ka1103/

Then switch to Single Side-Band [SSB] Mode* and
use the Fine-Tuning control to Clarify the Audio Signal
in -LSB and +USB.

* You may also switch to the Narrow Filter
for the LSB Mode.

Practice your LSB & USB Fine-Tuning skills
on WWV & WWVH ~ RHF