Old December 21st 10, 03:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] arthrnyork@webtv.net is offline

Default Hello! Introduction and a few questions

On Dec 20, 12:22*pm, John Smith wrote:
On 12/20/2010 8:32 AM, wrote:

Have you tried a World famous,,, Tiny Tenna?
cuhulin

When traveling, and listening from a cruise ship, hotel room, beach,
etc., I sometimes use an active antenna.

At home, I never use one. *Any amplified antenna also introduces a noise
figure in addition to atmospheric and manmade noise. *Examining the spec
sheet on the devices used in the active antennas construction will tell
you the amount of noise you are introducing into the antenna system.

So, of course, at home, I use the best/highest/length possible.

It is relatively easy to find that an active antenna is NOT even in the
same league as a 120 FT antenna mounted 30 FT or more in the air.
Simple tune a weak station on the 120 FT antenna and then disconnect and
find that you can't even receive the same signal of the active antenna
(probably is there, but below the noise floor and unusable.) *Again,
just a simple law of physics ... you can read any book on the subject
and find it plainly stated ... however, like everyone else, I first had
to find it out for myself, before I accepted it ... I'd just love to
toss 30 FT of wire out a second story window and get every station on
the other side of globe ... wouldn't we all?

Regards,
JS

....if I threw a 30ft wire out my second floor window the result will
be a lousy ground connection...