Old December 21st 10, 10:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Hello! Introduction and a few questions

On 12/20/2010 10:36 PM, Bob Dobbs wrote:
John Smith wrote:

Yep, I am with you, cheap is good! :-)

A real cheapie here,
since COX communications insists on running a drop to my house
even though I don't subscribe to any of their services,
was to use a split bolt splicer to connect the shield braid to one side of a 4:1
balun and the other side to a ground rod (freebie six foot rebar).

And, noise pickup is acceptable? You have underground power?

The were supposed to drop the powerlines in my neighborhood underground,
then the economic collapse hit ... there is a transformer, somewhere
around here, which causes noise, especially when raining. Power company
came out and I pointed out the transformer to them. They said they
would have it fixed ... but then, that also was before the economic
collapse worsened/lengthened ... I am going to have the wife call 'em
and complain, again ... and, probably again ...

Regards,
JS