Old December 22nd 10, 03:28 PM
kyle williams kyle williams is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobbs View Post
dave wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
kyle williams wrote:
I forgot to mention that I did hear a very faint
and brief time stamp message on 15000, only once though, I can't seem to
get it to come in again.

The higher WWV freqs are generally better propagated during the daytime,
If your listening is mostly at night then 5000 will likely be stronger as well
as some strong Caribbean stations (RHC) in the 60m band.

Utah might be too close for the HF.

Not too close for the evening 2500kc WWV,
then there's WWVH for daytime.

WWVB would work 24/7 there.

of course WWVB works almost everywhere,
even on my wrist watches.
yahoo! i was able to start getting several signals yesterday late morning. most were in the 13-15000Kz range, most were in spanish so I was never sure if they announced where they were located or not. I did pick up LWF.org on 13570. they are out of TN but I am sure they have repeaters everywhere including Utah.

I have been stringing my little wire antenna around the room across several big windows but yesterday I tried an experiment of winding it around a 6' PVC pipe and leaning it against the window and that seemed to give as good or better a signal. I plan to use this receiver on my boat so a small simple antenna is important to me, although I plan to use my mast to run it up at least 30 feet. I have searched these forums about antennas and see many huge heated discussions about the subject with no consensus. seems everyone has very strong opinion, and they all make what seem like valid points. So here we go again: Would I gain much by trying an active antenna, or is my little wire as much as this little radio can handle?

. thanks for your helps.
kyle