Old December 28th 10, 06:19 PM posted to alt.politics.liberalism,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.politics.economics
D. Peter Maus[_2_] D. Peter Maus[_2_] is offline

Default Bootleg Lightbulbs Coming to California

On 12/28/10 11:57 , Joe from Kokomo wrote:

fades artwork, furniture and wall paper,

Why? Same number of lumens output as the incandescents that they replace
and the same color temperature (in degrees Kelvin) of the incandescents
they replace. No scientific reason in the world why they would make
things fade faster. This "complaint" is pure hokum.

Actually, it's not.

Flourescents do not produce the same spectra as incandescents.
They may have the same average color temperature, but like white
LED's, with a higher blue and UV output than incandescents, the
'warm' white color temperature, is achieved by adding red output to
the phosphor until the average color temperature is about the same
as an incandescent, and the eye can't discern a difference. The
average is the same, but the actual spectra produced are
dramatically different.

Yes, flourescents do promote more rapid fading, depending on the
pigments exposed.

and tend to burn out at about the same rate as real light bulbs.

Not true unless you are buying the really, really cheap "Brand X" CFLs.
It is a -proven- fact that decent CFLs have a much longer life than
incandescents.

I have had to replace my CFL's at about the same rate as average
price incandescents. Brand appears to be irrelevant. Cheap generic,
or branded GE and Philips, the failure rate is about the same.

In fact, the longest life bulb I've ever used was Halogena by
Philips. More than twice the life of any CFL's I've used, or Philips
non-halogen tungsten.