Old January 2nd 11, 09:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default "New" Satellit 800 testing

On Jan 1, 5:21*am, powerdoc wrote:
Perhaps this is a strange question but how does one test the
performance of a radio receiver? *I can easily listen to AM B'cast and
FM but since SW frequencies are more sensitive to times of the day,
what is the standard? *Let me preface this by saying I've not done any
SWL activities in YEARS and just bought this receiver on a whim ($
burning hole in pocket etc etc etc) . *Is WWV the best standard to use
for SW frequencies? *Help the new "kid" please! *(We'll get into
antennae later)!

?Q? o you have the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium
AM/FM Shortwave Radio's User Manual -here-
http://www.radiolabs.com/downloads/m...S800manual.pdf

1st - Place the GS800M Radio in front-of /next-to
an outside-looking Window.

2nd - Extend the Whip Antenna fully fully fully :
The GS800M' Whip Antenna has Two Tips
Middle Tip has 7-Sections
Plus Top Tip has another 6-Sections
Tilt the Whip Antenna at 45 Degrees

-here-is-a-'tip'- Make sure that the Shortwave Antenna
{Select} Switch at the rear of the Radio is set-in the
"Whip" Position : Figure #1 & #2 & Page 15

3rd - As you have indicated try the WWV/WWVH
and Test the Frequency on 2,500 kHz; 5,000 kHz;
10,000 kHz; and may be 15, 000 kHz.
* Check-it-out- AM & AM+SYNC plus LSB &USB
* Listen to the 'Sound' coming from the Filters at :
6, 4 & 2.3 kHz
* Observe the S-Meter readings at : +&- 5 kHz
and +&- 10 kHz from WWV/WWVH Frequencies