Old January 4th 11, 06:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Kevin Alfred Strom Kevin Alfred Strom is offline

Default Need help with Hammarlund HQ110A

On 1/4/2011 8:40 AM, lkdubb wrote:
I recently purchased a Hammarlund HQ110A and I cannot get it to operate.
It powers up, the lights and meters seem to function properly, but I
cannot get any reception - just white noise. I do not have external
speakers, so I use headphones....I do not have a proper antenna, so I'm
just using a length of wire....since this is all new to me, I'm not sure
of how to set the various controls on the unit (pitch, sensitivity, AVC.
LIM, audio gain, freq, selectivity, multiplier).
Can anyone offer me some advice?
Also, how hard is it to find parts and to get repairs on these units?
Thanks.

Sensitivity all the way up, AM mode, limiter off, peak up the
"antenna" control, audio gain for a comfortable level, tune around
the 7-7.3 MHz band daytime or 3.5-4 MHz band at night -- there
should be lots of signals. If not, try replacing the tubes one at a
time. Jiggle the bandswitch -- its contacts (and some of the
potentiometers) may be dirty with age and need to be spritzed with
WD-40 or a cleaner. Beyond that, the set may have developed some bad
capacitors or other components. The manual for the receiver is he

http://hamradiomanualsonline.com/200...ervice-manual/

The best place to find a real expert to help you will probably be:

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php

I'd highly recommend joining and participating there.

All the best,

Kevin, WB4AIO.
--
http://nationalvanguard.org/