Old January 8th 11, 02:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Smirkenberg Dave Smirkenberg is offline

Default Antennas for Kenwood TH-F6A

On Jan 4, 2:39*am, "Ron Hinds" wrote:
Hi - I'm an amateur radio newbie - don't even have a license yet (taking the
Technician exam 1/15). I have a Kenwood TH-F6A and I'm looking for an
antenna for use from home. This looks like a good one - and it's in my price
range ;-) I'm wondering what you experts think of it for a beginner?

http://www.diamondantenna.net/d130j.html

Also, I thought this might make a good mobile antenna. But the instructions
say don't use a magnetic mount. I'm really not interested in any kind of
permanent mount. Why do they say not to use a magnetic mount?

http://www.diamondantenna.net/d220.html

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

Richard is providing a lot more info than me, but the reality is this:
5 watts is not going to do all that great. Your mileage may vary, but
a lot of that power will be eaten up by feedline losses.

Also, bear in mind that a multi band antenna is generally a compromise
on every band it works on.

And finally, a hundred bucks plus shipping is a ripoff for that
antenna in terms of performance. On 2 meters, 220, and 440 a jpole you
could make out of old curtain rods or scrap conduit for ZERO will work
as well or better.

Also, if you make antennas...do not just clone something. 75% of jpole
projects start with copper tubing you have to purchase. Nothing wrong
with that, but the reality is anything metal you can make long enough
will likely work fine. Most people who publish web how to's on Jpole
antennas are copying old designs. Designs get set in the mud and dry
out to the point that noobs get a mindset that nothing else can work
on account of seeing so much of the same thing.

A hundred bucks would go a long way toward some high quality feedline.
Save the money and build an antenna.

Dave