Old January 13th 11, 11:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Improving clock radio FM reception

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:02:39 +0000, Jake W.
wrote:

I am having a very specific problem with two radios in my apartment.
One is a clock radio; the other is a shelf audio system. Both have
digital tuners and happen to be made by Sony.

The only FM station I listen to is 93.9, which is my local public radio
station. Neither of these radios has ever had a problem receiving this
station in the past (I live right downtown). I moved apartments and now
both of these radios (a) have trouble receiving this station and (b)
often play a different station, 95.5, when tuned to 93.9.

I have tried various antenna configurations for the shelf system and
placements of the clock radio. Sometimes I can improve the reception of
93.9, but other times, my efforts just increase the interference from
95.5 to the point where all I hear is that station.

What's going on here?

NB: There is also an analog-tuned clock radio on the other side of the
bed, which seems to have no trouble with this.

Hi Jake,

Sounds like the two Sonys are being overwhelmed by a strong local
station. They have no front-end tuning to make them as selective as
your, as you describe, analog tuned clock radio.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC