Old January 23rd 11, 01:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Why an Antenna Tuner May Be A Waste of Money -by- Daniel A Grunberg

On 01/22/2011 10:59 PM, Bob Dobbs wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:

I always thought that the word ''tuner" referred to tunable circuitry designed
to match a transmitter to an antenna whereas "preselector" is most often used
with lower power levels as is typical with antennas for receivers. They both
work as tunable bandpass circuits with the "tuners" generally having a lower Q.
My old Grove TUN-3 (preselector) has much sharper (selective) tuning whereas the
MFJ-949E (tuner) has a wider frequency range of bandpass.

If you have a 30 turn coil, a 365 mfd variable capacitor, and a couple
clip leads you can build a "L" matcher, that will tune just about
anything. Another junk pile solution...