Old January 27th 11, 07:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
David Griffith David Griffith is offline

Default Crystal Wanted

Kenneth Scharf wrote:
Another thing about these crystals is that they are often found in
very small SMT packages. I'm not sure that the smallest sizes work
well in a ladder filter though. The same goes for the 'tuning fork'
version that uses laser timed metal elements with a very small amount
of quartz (I've heard that high quality quartz is getting scarce and
crystal makers are looking at ways to use less).

I think the motivation is to simply make them smaller. Crystals have
been made from synthetic quartz for quite some time now.

--
David Griffith
--- Put my last name where it belongs