Old January 30th 11, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Scott in Baltimore[_2_] Scott in Baltimore[_2_] is offline

Default Marine radios VHF...Can you..

Plotus wrote:
I grant you that these radios and CB are different, but I thought you CB
buffs might know off hand something about VHF's as well. I'm aware that
some people have CB's with a linear? mabe broadcasting 20-30 watts, or
way illegal, but my question is for a VHF. Can you also pump up these
radios from stock. Not that I'd ever, ever do something to tamper with,
and incur the wrath of the FCC. Ahemm. Thanks for your
responces.....also what about if that (radio) ahemmm, was found to be
pumped up, would the antena requirements be aparrant? Thanks in
advance for this tutorial....ahemmmm....

Height is might. The higher the antenna, the better your range.
VHF is more line of sight then CB is. Don't use marine frequencies
on land. MURS will keep you out of trouble. Use the lower three
channels on 151 because there is too much stuff on the 154 MHz ones.

Of course a ham tech ticket is a simple test and the range there
can be statewide on 2 meters with through a repeater. Since 2 meters
sounds like CB, you'll feel right at home!!

-Scott/AE