Old January 31st 11, 08:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default SW antenna for Grundig Satellit 750?

"PapiBow" wrote in message ...

I am considering this antenna for Grundig Satellit 750, link below.

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3377.html

my first question is about the effectiveness of this antenna in a
limited space on patio of about 15 feet by 15 feet, next to a 2-story
building. I would raise the antenna center to about 10 feet and then run
each of the 40-foot wings in zigzags on the sides. Later, I might move
to a larger place and have full space for the antenna. I do not want to
buy an antenna for limited space now if this antenna could be made as
effective for the limited space as an antenna designed for smaller
space.

the second question is about durability, is it solid construction to
last for years?

the third question is about any extra hardware needed. My Grundig radio
has a female BNC socket 50-ohm. This antenna comes with coax cable RG-8X
and PL-259. This means I need an adapter from PL-259 to BNC. Will this
adapter create any noise? Do I need any additional hardware to make it
work better, like a preamp?

--
PapiBow

I just can't see paying over $ 150 for a bunch of wire to use as a receiving antenna. Think I would just put up a center insulator and as much wire as I could in the space you have. Also do a search for a Windom antenna. You probably will get the same results for a lot less money.