Old February 1st 11, 07:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] arthrnyork@webtv.net is offline

Default New random Wire antenna in progress

On Feb 1, 1:48*am, bpnjensen wrote:
On Jan 31, 4:13*pm, dave wrote:

On 01/31/2011 11:55 AM, bpnjensen wrote:

Well, put up a new inverted-L antenna - 30 feet up a tree, 60 feet
across horz and over the house rooftop (nowhere else to go!), base ~20
feet from house. *Using a winradio 9:1 unun matcher at the base, *not
yet grounded*. *In fact, so far none of the RF chain on this antenna
is grounded. *So far, so good - noise level *fairly* low (lower on
almots all freqs than my DX-Ultra), AND signal strength on most bands
roughly the same, varying depending on the band. *One good thing I do
notice is that on strong MW stations, he antenna does *NOT* reveal a
60 Hz background hum like the DX-Ultra does - I consider this a good
sign. *The far end is about 25 feet from the higher-tension power
lines out back, and the near end is about 15 feet from the low-tension
lines in front. *Next steps -

1 - Ground the 9:1 unun
2 - Bury the coax from house to base of antenna (about 18 feet
underground)
3 - Install RF isolator (Either Radioworks or Wellbrook AFI5030) at
the house with or without a ground stake connection, depending on what
works the best.

Have not had great reception so far this week, so no chance to really
give it a workout.

Further reports to come. *Thanks, guys, for all the input so far!

It's a rule that putting up a new antenna causes bad dx space weather.
Like washing your car makes it rain.

...or like a new telescope eyepiece means cloudy weather :-D- Hide quoted text -

aka as Murphy's Law !