Old February 1st 11, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default New random Wire antenna in progress

Do you run with RF gain all the way up? I don't. I use a lot of AF gain
and turn the AGC off and ride the RF gain (use that for a volume
control). That gets the noise way down (until somebody flips an
incandescent light switch and the "pop" goes through my brain).

I did my deep urban DXing on a 2010 (on a 30' umbilical) and an R390-A
(120' random wire connected directly to back of radio). Biggest power
lines overhead at right angle to random wire. The R390-A's what got me
hooked on pro grade receivers.