Old February 1st 11, 06:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus[_2_] D. Peter Maus[_2_] is offline

Default New random Wire antenna in progress

On 2/1/11 12:41 , m II wrote:
On 11-02-01 11:22 AM, bpnjensen wrote:

Question - does the additional Poly tube around the coax diminish the
capacity to provide (presumably useful) inductive ground for the
buried cable?

Seems to me that anything resembling an inductive ground would be a bad
thing. The inductive coupling effect would vary completely with the
frequency of the signal, proximity, length, etc. Not good.

Don't settle for anything less than a real, lowest possible impedance,
honest to G_d, mechanically connected ground. I usually smear the wire
connection and electrode with vaseline after having sandpapered them.
Then do your clamping. A plastic cup inverted over the end of the ground
rod will keep the rain out of the joint.

mike

Or you can wrap it with CoaxSeal. Teflon tape works very well,
for this, too.