Old February 13th 04, 01:16 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Uwe Langmesser wrote:

Is there a simple relationship between a meters internal resistance and its
sensitivity (ohms per volt).

Maybe this is trivial but I don't see it.

Uwe

The higher the resistance, the lower the operating current, but there
is no simple formula.

You need a current limiting resistor in series with the meter, and a
known supply voltage. Start at the maximum resistance, and slowly reduce
it till you have a full scale deflection. Disconnect the voltage, then
measure the total resistance of the meter and adjustable resistor. Then
use Ohm's law to determine the meter's sensitivity. Its simple and only
takes a couple minutes to test. Use a low voltage, and it is a good idea
to have different variable resistors to put in series. Start with a
higher value resistor than you think you need, so you don't damage the
meter, and work your way down. I use an expensive, six decade resistor
with an adjustable regulated power supply. I can adjust the resistance
in steps, from zero ohms to one megohm in one ohm steps.

--
We now return you to our normally scheduled programming.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida