Old February 6th 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Lux[_2_] Jim Lux[_2_] is offline

Default Relative strength: single-wall or nested aluminum tubing?

On Feb 6, 7:58*am, Bert Hyman wrote:
I can find tubing with a .120" wall, and I can find it with .058" wall.

For a short run (just a few feet), would there be any significant
difference in bending resistance between a length of the thick wall stuff
and one made from two nested thin wall lengths?

Weight's not an issue, nor is price.

--
Bert Hyman * * *W0RSB * St. Paul, MN *

It would depend on how you did the nesting. If there's an
interference fit, then it's pretty much one piece of metal.
If it's not, and they can bend independently, you need to figure out
how the loads distribute between the pieces.