Old February 7th 11, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
sid sid is offline

Default Antenna in the Attic

On Feb 7, 2:14*pm, K1TTT wrote:
On Feb 7, 7:53*pm, sid wrote:

On Feb 7, 1:49*pm, K1TTT wrote:

On Feb 7, 7:38*pm, sid wrote:

I plan to relocate our entertainment system to the basement. At the
same time I plan to run cable to the attic for TV and Radio. *I would
like some advice on what type of cable to run and what types of
Antennas would work best from an attic.

Do I need to go buy a radio antenna, or is it just as simple to
construct one ?

Thanks'

what kind of radio?

Just and AM / FM receiver.

I was considering:
2x cat5+ UTP
1x 75 coax for TV
1x 50 coax for FM
AM ??

you can normally use the same antenna for TV and FM, and i think most
FM receivers are 75 or 300 ohm inputs anyway. *if you really want a
separate one for FM there are simple cheap parallel wire dipoles that
often come with receivers you can just tack up on the wall. *AM
receivers probably won't care if you use 50 or 75 ohm, just run a loop
of wire around the attic as far from power lines as you can and that
should be fine.- Hide quoted text -

So I end up with 2 coax cables:
1st coax for TV/FM with an antenna in the attic.
What about a signal amp ? do they really help ?
2nd coax for AM, loop around the attic (how big is too big and should
it be parallel or horizontal to the ground ?)

Can I use splitters for multiple receivers, or will this degrade the
signal too much ?