Old February 8th 11, 11:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus[_2_] D. Peter Maus[_2_] is offline

Default 60 Foot Random Wire Shortwave [SWL] Antenna ?

On 2/8/11 16:49 , bpnjensen wrote:
On Feb 8, 2:42 pm, "D. Peter wrote:
On 2/8/11 16:39 , bpnjensen wrote:

On Feb 8, 2:27 pm, D Peter wrote:
On 2/8/11 16:03 , bpnjensen wrote:

On Feb 8, 12:22 pm, D Peter wrote:
On 2/8/11 11:06 , bpnjensen wrote:

On Feb 5, 3:35 pm, "D. Peter wrote:

You do have a quite a bit of antenna, there. Verify that you've not
got too much. Look for images, indicating overload. A pad may be required.

FWIW, I have found that this new antenna, even before the unun is
grounded, works *extremely* well on almost all bands for elimination
of electrical hash noise with my DX-Ultra and MFJ-1026. I can lop off
4-8 S-Units of hash noise while scarcely touching the desired signal,
leaving otherwise obscured signals either in the clear or almost so.
It has brought otherwise undetectable signals to easy copy. Right
now, I'm wishing I had room for two of them - I could silence 60 and
90 meters background with them.

Maybe I'll take down the DX-Ultra and put up another one of these.
I'd hate to lose the DX-U (it's great on everything 41 meters and up),
but two matched antennae on the MFJ-1026 would work wonders, I think.

Bruce

Excellent. This is good to hear. Congratulations.- Hide quoted text -

Without counting all my chickens before they hatch, I will say I am
very pleased - and grateful to you, Peter, and the other folks
including Roy, Dave, Kevin, MII and others who have chimed in with
their help and advice. Thanks!

Always glad to help in what marginal way I may, Bruce.

If you've had THAT kind of noise reduction, you're going to enjoy a
whole new world of listening.

I know you've mentioned it before, but I've had lunch since
then...which receiver are you feeding with this?- Hide quoted text -

LOL! Three of them - Icom R75, Allied SX-190 and a DX-160.

Oh, that's right...you discussed that SX-190 at some length. Duh...

And I remember being envious because of it.

So, how does it handle now that you've got a reasonably quiet
antenna on the front end?

And how does it compare to R75?- Hide quoted text -

The R75 is considerably more sensitive and/or with a better s/n ratio,
given the same antenna system. Things are fairly audible on the R75
that are in the hash on the SX-190. Still, the SX-190 is a bunch of
fun. For a bad hum, I need to get either a capacitor replacement on
the power supply, or figure out the wiring on the 12VDC plug (an oddly
configured 4-prong socket) and see if that does the trick. Also might
be some bad caps in the audio chain.

Given its age, a few questionable caps should be expected. A
couple of hours with a fine soldering iron will do wonders.