Old February 10th 11, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wimpie[_2_] Wimpie[_2_] is offline

Default Relative strength: single-wall or nested aluminum tubing?

On 6 feb, 16:58, Bert Hyman wrote:
I can find tubing with a .120" wall, and I can find it with .058" wall.

For a short run (just a few feet), would there be any significant
difference in bending resistance between a length of the thick wall stuff
and one made from two nested thin wall lengths?

Weight's not an issue, nor is price.

--
Bert Hyman * * *W0RSB * St. Paul, MN *

Hello Bert,

If I understand you well, the current tube is a nested construction
(one foot). Considering the overall length of the antenna (25 feet),
the bending moment will slightly increase when changing from 1 to
about 2 feet.

If you believe that there will be more clearance between the two tubes
(w.r.t. the current nested tubes), you may fill the clearance with
epoxy resin. This will reduce the risk on buckling significantly.

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
without abc, PM will reach me in most cases