Old December 2nd 03, 03:05 PM
Cecil Moore

Michael Tope wrote:
Will the
value of inductive reactance needed to "resonate" my
loaded transmission line vary with the delay and or
form factor of the parallel loading inductors, or will
this value be fixed and equal to the value of inductive
reactance required when I was using the ideal "black
box" inductors?

Hopefully you alll see where I am going with
this. What say, Gents?

Hi Mike, good posting. I admire open, questioning minds. I
just added some information on this subject to my web page.
Although there is some relationship between inductance and
delay, I hardly had to mention inductance at all. The phases
of the forward current and reflected current are changing in
opposite directions. Given any delay at all, the magnitude of
the net current will change through the coil (given a typical
mobile antenna coil). The electrical length of a mobile antenna
cosine is (net top current)/(net bottom current). Note that this
estimate works for loading coils installed in electrical 1/4WL
monopoles or electrical 1/2WL dipoles, not for the general case.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp