Old February 17th 11, 01:02 AM
RangerDaleXp RangerDaleXp is offline
Junior Member

Smile May Need A New Radio...

I am not sure if this is the best thread for the question but here we go.

Recently I just revamped my scanner listening area and antenna system and I also set things up to now include my shortwave listening. I have an Icom IC-R71a that I bought to replace some none functional radios I had in the past but really only put around 50hrs on it before putting it in storage around 1990. I recently pulled it out of storage and found out it no longer works well. It now has very low audio and barely can hear any broadcast with it. It tunes to stations but almost no volume.

After lots of research and Q&A, It looks like this like new looking radio will cost more to fix then it is worth and I can not even find a service guy to even look at it to find out if it is worth fixing.

Does anyone have any idea who in California and better yet the Los Angles area around Palmdale that could look at it?

I also am considering a new replacement and since I have been out of listening or using SW equipment for a while, I was wondering what is good now days for a replacement radio under $1000 dollars.

Looking for some good input and thanks......