Old February 17th 11, 04:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Reception Reports sent recently

On Feb 16, 11:47*am, bpnjensen wrote:
On Feb 16, 8:15*am, dave wrote:

On 02/16/2011 08:01 AM, bpnjensen wrote:

On Feb 14, 9:15 am, *wrote:
On Feb 12, 10:24 pm, *wrote:

Well, the new inverted-L antenna is grounded and the cable mostly
buried; now I will try to add the RF isolator at the point where the
cable enters the house, and see if that happens.

I have had quite good luck with this antenna, relatively speaking. *It
has lower noise generally than any other antenna I have constructed,
works *very* well on the MFJ-1026 noise canceller along with the DX-
Ultra antenna, and delivers a noticeably stronger desired signal than
the antenna it replaces. *I believe I am still limited by my location,
along the SF bayshore surrounded by hills, and in a RFI soup.

Having said that, I have managed to hear well and send out reception
reports recently for VOIRI Iran; HD2IOA Ecuador; BBC-IO Relay
Seychelles; RN de la RASD, Algeria; and a couple of easier grabs, CVC
1Africa Zambia and BBC Relay Ascension Island. *Also did a retread of
VOA Botswana (why won't VOA even send an e-mail?).

WRTVH is ridiculously helpful with contact information. *What a
resource.

I am pretty pleased...but...For real DX on a regular basis, I think I
have no choice but to evacuate.

A few more sent out - R. Thailand, Radio Dabanga and Radio Australia
via Palau.- Hide quoted text -

Preparing a couple more today - PMA The Cross Radio on 4,755.44 (Super
reception last night! *Huzzah!) and the venerable R. Clube do Para on
4885, also gangbusters (relatively speaking). *The DX is back! *If I
could have stayed up later, would have done a R. East New Britain
(3385) also (at least I believe it was RENB - it sounded like Tok
Pisin as opposed to an Indonesian dialect). *I may try again tonight
or tomorrow.

What fun! :-)

Bruce Jensen

Tropical Bands in the winter. Nothing like it. There's a big HF log
periodic antenna on the East side of the Nimitz, between you and the
Coliseum, that always impressed the **** out of me. I think it's nearer
you as I recall.

- I used to unload trucks at Alameda NAS in a former life.

Ah... Former Lives . . . )

Hmmm - not the one up north of the Coliseum at Ham Radio Outlet on the
Oakland-Alameda Border? *It's just on the west side of the Nimitz. *I
don't recall anything on the east side, but maybe it's come down since
then.

- It is possible that Family Radio formerly had a
- transmitter site in Oakland that may have used
such an antenna, but I have not checked on that.

No Record of Family Radio having any -non- AM &
FM Facility in Oakland & the SF East Bay 'proper'.

Bruce

I'm about 10 miles south of that spot.

There were a few Large Antenna south of Oakland along
the east-side of the Nimitz : All were/are Licensed Amateur
Radio [Ham] Operators : There were/are no C/C/S/F
Transmitters directly along the Nimitz and visable from
Nimitz from Oakland to San Jose
-afaik- from the 1960s ~ now

The Alameda County Facility was in the San Leandro
Hills and the old Nike Radar/Missile Base around
Cabot Road; after that is Mission Peak. ~ RHF