Old February 16th 04, 08:42 PM
Richard

Steve Nosko wrote:
I believe he is talking about adjacent channel signals which are much
stronger than the desired and trying to see if there is a way to "fix"
that. Capture does not apply for this situation. Capture is a co-channel
effect and is better the wider the whole system is, not just the IF.

Capture effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_effect

It's an intersting phenomena, and potentially useful. If I could phase null
(at the antenna) the local stronger signal then it would dissappear as
inteference if it was a few db below the wanted signal.

Only problem is, is that if you cannot get the inteferring signal below the
wanted one, it's works very bad for you, because you cannot listen to an
inteferred with signal. Which is better than nothing I guess in some cases.

Pity that somehow you cannot design circuitry which recognises a 100Khz
difference between the wanted FM station and the unwanted FM station and
proceed to demodulate the wanted one only. If it were possible, it would
have been done by now. Maybe you could do it digitally,I dunno.