Old February 17th 11, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier Mark Zenier is offline

Default Reception Reports sent recently

In article ,
bpnjensen wrote:
On Feb 16, 12:17*pm, dave wrote:
On 02/16/2011 11:47 AM, bpnjensen wrote:
On Feb 16, 8:15 am, *wrote:

... Nothing like it. There's a big HF log
periodic antenna on the East side of the Nimitz, between you and the
Coliseum, that always impressed the **** out of me. I think it's nearer
you as I recall. I used to unload trucks at Alameda NAS in a former

life.-

Hmmm - not the one up north of the Coliseum at Ham Radio Outlet on the
Oakland-Alameda Border? *It's just on the west side of the Nimitz. *I
don't recall anything on the east side, but maybe it's come down since
then.

It is possible that Family Radio formerly had a transmitter site in
Oakland that may have used such an antenna, but I have not checked on
that.

I'm about 10 miles south of that spot.

It's military. It looks like a giant ham radio beam with a 5 horsepower
rotator. I have a photo somewhere...- Hide quoted text -

Now that would be a surprise. I know of nothing military offhand on
the east side of the Nimitz (plenty on the west, tho).

Around here, (Seattle), the FAA is fond of big log periodics. (I think
it's back up for the air traffic control system). There used to be one
at Fort Lawton/Discovery Park joint military/ATC radar, and there was
another east on the ridge above Boeing Field.

Mark Zenier