Old February 16th 04, 10:56 PM
Richard

Steve Nosko wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
Steve Nosko wrote:
I believe he is talking about adjacent channel signals which are much
stronger than the desired and trying to see if there is a way to "fix"
that. ...

Capture effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_effect
It's an intersting phenomena, and potentially useful.

But I believe not here. Only for co-channel interference.

If I could phase null
(at the antenna) the local stronger signal ... if you cannot get the
inteferring signal below the

This is a sticky problem if the undesired is only 100kHz off center
with the standard 200kHz system design. I this case you can have
significant energy within the Rx passband coming from the undesired. I
can't say how low the undesired needs to be.

In the UK, where I am, the spacing between channels is 100Khz. And that is a
real problem, because, as you say a lot of RF energy from the undesired
station gets into the IF passband.

And so basically I was wondeting if the technolgy exists for the RX to know
that energy from the undesired station, 100Khz off frequency, is to be
ignored in the demodulation. I don't think it can be done, but if it
could somehow the electronics would have to associate the unwanted energy
with a non wanted station, and in a sense, ignore it. Just wondering if the
technoloy is around to do that. Probably not. Only likely possible thru
digital computing methods maybe.