Old February 28th 11, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default 2 kinds of loops

On 02/27/2011 09:30 PM, wrote:

The Two Things That The Random/Long Wire Antenna
Has Over The Horizontal Loop Antenna :
1 - Half the Materials {Fewer Things}
2 - Half the Work {Less To Do}
3 - Easier to Locate/Site and Erect {Easy to Do}
=Conclusion= Easier/Simpler To Build

that's my 'relative' opinion - iane ~ RHF
.

A loop antenna is more directional (in general) than a longwire .
That's a very big asset in DF applications .

A small loop has less than 10% of the wavelength.

A large loop has at least 50% of the wavelength.

Small loops are easily built and when vertically oriented exhibit a very
useful figure 8 pattern. Downside, they need to be turned (and tuned). I
can't put one inside my lath and plaster house. I don't have an antenna
rotator.

My large horizontal loop requires no aiming nor tuning. It is for SWL
and amateur receiving only. Set it and forget it. QRM was the main
problem. It is 95% solved. I never (never) hear light switches (which
cause huge explosions on my ham radio) or the oscillators in my analog
TV; and like that there.