Old March 1st 11, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default DRM and shortwave

On Mar 1, 11:04*am, bpnjensen wrote:
I don't doubt that DRM has certain advantages over AM/SSB transmission
on HF frequencies - but as I listen on my conventional radio to
transmissions of this mode from stations such as Radio New Zealand,
and the obnoxious sound it makes across a 10 kHz wide piece of the
spectrum, I have to wonder if anyone out there in their intended
service area is actually using this mode. *I guess I can imagine a few
folks in East Asia who may have these receivers, but across the
islands I cannot imagine they are common at all. *Does New Zealand do
this to reach better into the Asian interior? *To antipodal Europe?

Still, they are not as obnoxious as CRI, who insist on plugging up
every other frequency with a transmission 24/7, covering up dozens of
other stations who now have no hope of being heard as a result...

Bruce Jensen

DRM as a Broadcast Media seems to Work Best out
to 3500 km ~ 2200 Miles which is a Natural for Radio
New Zealand's Over-the-Ocean-Area Broadcast Scheme.