Old March 4th 11, 01:43 AM
r1 curt r1 curt is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
In article ,
Strafe wrote:
So, Problem #1 - I'm having trouble sourcing a CL2020-1VC.
I'm not sure if
that 1VC means 1 volt or not because all the CL2020's I've seen say they are
3 volts

CL2020 (are you sure that's not CR2020?) would indicate a cell 2.0 mm
thick and 20mm diameter. And it would be a lithium one, and yes, 3V. I've
no idea what the -1VC is, but it's not going to be the voltage.

Can you measure (physical size) the old battery or holder to confirm this
size? It may help you source a replacement part with a totally different
number, rather than looking for CR/CL2020. Just get the right physical size
and the right voltage ...

I'll also need a sleeve for it to solder it back on the board (I
have a much better soldering iron now, maybe that will help). Getting the
battery with the sleve already would be great.

What sleeve? If it's the kind I'm thinking of, it's a button cell style. They
don't come with sleeves. If you mean some kind of metal clip that was round
the old one, then you needed to keep that part -- it's the battery holder.
Don't try and solder the button cell to wires, that's not good for the
battery.

Problem #2 - How can I test the internal NiCd? I don't understand why it's
not charging. If I need another one I will need a source for that as well.

If it's been sitting discharged for a few years, it's probably died quietly.

The advice about using the scanner now and then to keep the battery charged
wasn't entirely bull ...
Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk |
http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
I know this is a little late but may be of use to someone. I also have a dead R1 but found the manual. First there are two batteries the NI-CAD and a Lithium that keeps the CPU running. You need to put the radio on the charger for at least one hour to get the lithium going.

To reset the CPU you hold down the F key and the CL key and turn the power
on.

Hope this helps.