Old December 2nd 03, 11:49 PM
Bob McConnell

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:19:09 -0800, "har****" wrote:

I remember during my undergraduate years i took a course on antennas. During
our labs . Our lab assistant used this device. A thin cylindrical tube.
Which glowed when it sensed RF radiation. Our professor used this device to
show various polarizations of various antennas.

My question:
What is this device called. I wish to buy it from ebay or any other source.
Any other suggestions shall be appreciated

An NE2 neon bulb and a three inch steel coil spring about the same
diameter. Connect each end of the spring to one of the bulb contacts.
Don't know how sensitive it is, but the Navy provided one on the end
of a broomstick to reach into the transmitter room to detect HF before
entering. We never got hit, so I don't know how well it worked.

Bob McConnell (Ex-NFIT)
N2SPP