Old March 7th 11, 05:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Szczepan Bialek Szczepan Bialek is offline

Default Radio waves faster than light

Użytkownik "-.-. --.-" napisał w wiadomości

"Szczepan Bialek" ha scritto nel messaggio

384 000/2.4 = 320 000 km/s.

Speed of light is 300 000.

But long waves travel quicker in glass. Would be the same in space?
S*

No. Maybe I don't understand the complex calculation under your quoted
division by 2.4, but....

You understand. Should be: 2x384 000 = 320 000.

Your "mean distance" have to be doubled: received *back* in 2,4 sec mean
that the signal traveled the double distance.
At minimum distance the moon is 356375 km far from earth. 356375*2 is
712750 km, that at light speed means a travel time of 2,37 sec.

The test was made at "full Moon". ""Even though lunar echoes have been
detected before at higher frequencies, it was really exciting to see them
arrive in real time out under the full moon in the New Mexico desert,"

I do not know the distance. But some radio amateur practice communication
via Moon. Have they own observations?

Any greatest distance agree with classical physics laws, and a normal mind
don't care if the light travel faster, maybe care about the distance of
the moon at the time of test: exactly 360000 km from the earth.

Now are transmitters on the Mars. They are able to give the answer for
Maxwell. He wrote:
" " Incidentally, Maxwell once suggested that Roemer's
method could be used to test for the isotropy of light speed, i.e., to test
whether the speed of light is the same in all directions. Roemer's method
can be regarded as a means of measuring the speed of light in the direction
from Jupiter to the Earth. Jupiter has an orbital period of about 12 years,
so if we use Roemer's method to evaluate the speed of light several times
over a 12 year period, we will be evaluating the speed in all possible
directions (in the plane of the ecliptic). " From:
http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath203/kmath203.htm

As you see Maxwell care if the light travel everywhere with the same speed.

The same is with the wave lenght. Longer water waves travel faster. Is it
the same with radio waves?
S*