Old March 7th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Radio Transmitter inadvertantly OTA = QSL?

On Mar 7, 1:40*pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
So - if you are listening to a station and trying to QSL them, and
they have an unscheduled shutdown, and that shutdown comprises the
bulk of the listening period - can that detail bag you a QSL? *I ask
because this morning (late night local time here), R. East New Britain
(PNG) 3,385 kHz went completely OTA for a long period of time from
0808 until nearly 45 minutes later when it just as quickly came back
up. *That would be a VERY easy detail to report... ?

R. Milne Bay 3,365 kHz, meanwhile, was on that entire time with
country music and lots of discussion of stuff by male program hosts.

I always sent a detailed reception report, and most times it included a report
of the country music they played. They love country music in PNG.

Both stations QSL'd here many years ago.

20+ PNG stations QSL'd.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I agree - I always send the most detailed written report I can as
well; not doing so is cheating (in my book). However, if you what you
have is just faint muffled speech to listen to and report on, a
recording might be helpful as well. It helped on PMA The Cross - it
made the difference. Last few days, of course, 4755.4 has been MUCH
stronger, details easy.

I heard the country songs they played - not being a country song guy,
I didn't recognize a single one - all I could do was describe them.
Another place where a recording could help. Still, I only use them as
backup for the report.

Bruce