Old March 7th 11, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default Radio Transmitter inadvertantly OTA = QSL?

bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 7, 1:40 pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
So - if you are listening to a station and trying to QSL them, and
they have an unscheduled shutdown, and that shutdown comprises the
bulk of the listening period - can that detail bag you a QSL? I ask
because this morning (late night local time here), R. East New Britain
(PNG) 3,385 kHz went completely OTA for a long period of time from
0808 until nearly 45 minutes later when it just as quickly came back
up. That would be a VERY easy detail to report... ?

R. Milne Bay 3,365 kHz, meanwhile, was on that entire time with
country music and lots of discussion of stuff by male program hosts.

I always sent a detailed reception report, and most times it included a report
of the country music they played. They love country music in PNG.

Both stations QSL'd here many years ago.

20+ PNG stations QSL'd.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I agree - I always send the most detailed written report I can as
well; not doing so is cheating (in my book). However, if you what you
have is just faint muffled speech to listen to and report on, a
recording might be helpful as well. It helped on PMA The Cross - it
made the difference. Last few days, of course, 4755.4 has been MUCH
stronger, details easy.

I heard the country songs they played - not being a country song guy,
I didn't recognize a single one - all I could do was describe them.
Another place where a recording could help. Still, I only use them as
backup for the report.

Many tunes I used to recognize, maybe even gave snippets of lyrics. These days of
course, it is so much easier to look up the snippets and find out the actual song.

Good luck in your quest to QSL the PNG's.