Old March 8th 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
John Szalay[_2_] John Szalay[_2_] is offline

Default Looking for an aircraft scanner

wrote in
:

I recently bought a Uniden HomePatrol scanner and I love it. However,
I don't get much aircraft on it. Actually, I don't get any, and I live
right under approach and departure lanes for three major airports,
LaGuardia, Kennedy and Westchester, NY. There's planes overhead
constantly, and I'd love to hear the chatter from both the planes and
terminals, towers etc. Unless I'm missing something on this
HomePatrol, it's about useless for air traffic., Any suggestions for a
scanner for aircraft, that won't break my wallet? Handheld or desktop,
really doesn't matter. Thanks.

With so many systems going to digital, and a lot of people upgrading their
scanners, you should be able to pickup used A/C band sacnners fairly cheap.

Bearcat 2020 ( 20 channels )
Bearcat 220XLT ( 200 channels ) handheld, BNC connector
Radio Shack Pro-2021 ( 200 channels )

among others.

NOW Some personal observations from years of scanner & radio use.
*** YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY ***

since the aircraft radios are AM band, the range for a ground based
listener are not good without an good outside antenna. unless you are
fairly close to the tower, your not likely to hear the tower.

and since aircraft transmissions are usally very brief, the use of a
scanner in scan mode, makes it very hard to catch one.

best to find out which freqs are in use for your local airport. and set one
freq , and listen to only that one. say the
John F. Kennedy Approach/Departure 127.40000

That will give you an idea what is going on..
Then work from there.

trying blind to scan all the possible air band freqs will just prove
to be an excercise in frustration.

Kennedy page
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=1171

LaGuardia page