Old December 3rd 03, 02:22 AM
Art Unwin KB9MZ

Default current/inductance discusion

Gentlemen
I am not a electrical engineer or antenna expert e.t.c.
The above controversy is purely about the term 'lumped' items such as
resistance, capacitance and inductances, all of which are mythical.
Each of these three items contain parts of the others and the label
assigned to each of these is that which DOMINATE. So an inductance has
resistance and capacitance as well as the inductance but the latter is
what predominates.
Since all these have three items are part of its label they are
obviously circuits. When you read the handbook they show an equivalent
circuit for an antenna as a circuit with the mythical lumped
inductance, resistance and capacitance which can be used for advantage
in solving circuits in a mathematical aproach only in the same way
mathematics use the mythical
sq root of -1 .
Now I know educated people in the field are aware of this but for
some reason they want to make it look dificult.
Let me give an example of how lumped loads can be used to advantage.
We have a tuner with two variable capacitances and a variable
inductance,
this assembly does not radiate.( NOT INTENDED TO)
If we change the capacitances to circuits that contains resistance,
inductance as well as the predominating variable capacitance and use
another circuit that has all of these but with the predominant
inductance we can connect the two capacitive circuits by the
connecting inductive circuit by common inductive coupling.
Now have an equivalent circuit to the tuner that we started with, It
not only radiates but preserves the function of a tuner REGARDLESS of
the size of the radiators
Thus by changing the format backwards from the so called lumped
constants of the tuner we now have a radiating coupled assembly that
is the basis for small antennas without relationship to wave length.
This is the exact antenna I have
driven by my rotator on the top of my tower for top band use. It
radiates but
also retains all the original functions for direct connection to a
transmitter or feedline without the original separate matching system
or tuner.
It is time for people to get back to basics, that resistance,
inductance and capacitances are all electrical CIRCUITS and NOT a
lumped spot.
Accepting these facts forces one to consider what a current reaction
is when meeting ANY of the constituents of the so called lumped
circuit i.e. capacitance generates a phase change, period. Only the
amount of phase change
can be up for discussion.
A long posting but not as long as the thread started by Roy in
response to my last posting on this discussion which apparently ticked
him off..

Have at it guys
Regards
Art.