Old March 9th 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Jim Haynes[_4_] Jim Haynes[_4_] is offline

Default Looking for an aircraft scanner

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 18:17:09 -0500, wrote:

I recently bought a Uniden HomePatrol scanner and I love it. However, I don't
get much aircraft on it. Actually, I don't get any, and I live right under
approach and departure lanes for three major airports, LaGuardia, Kennedy and
Westchester, NY. There's planes overhead constantly, and I'd love to hear the
chatter from both the planes and terminals, towers etc. Unless I'm missing
something on this HomePatrol, it's about useless for air traffic., Any
suggestions for a scanner for aircraft, that won't break my wallet? Handheld or
desktop, really doesn't matter. Thanks.

I just read a review of that scanner in the new QST. Seems like it ought
to do everything you want. Can you look at the list of frequencies it is
scanning in the aviation band? You might want to go to a pilots' shop
in the area and get the latest FAA airport/facilities directory for your
area, which will list the tower and other frequencies for airports, and
also the approach/departure control and and center frequencies. Also
you pick up some of these by listening on the ones you already know about.
e.g. if you listen to control tower for departures, they will tell a pilot
to contact departure control on xxxx, and then if you listen on that
frequency you may hear them telling the aircraft to contact center on
xxxx. Also note that the last digit of the frequency is not mentioned,
so it could be zero or five. If the controller says 123.27 that is really
123.275.