Old March 11th 11, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mike S. Mike S. is offline

Default Tecsun PL-390

In article ,
Brenda Ann wrote:

[snip]

In a couple weeks, with any luck at all, I'll be getting a Tecsun PL-660.
This one will have SSB, sync, Aircraft band, and a bunch of other bells and
whistles. I'll do a short review of that one as well.

Despite similarities in size, the PL-660 is an entirely different animal.
In my "RF Alley" area, the DSP-based rigs are much more resistant to
overload and mixing products from local blowtorch transmitters.

Tecsun seems to be still tweaking things in this model in response to
postings on their Chinese BBS. The third production run has most of the
bugs and poor implementation stuff ironed out, but from reports some still
remain (e.g. there is great disparity in audio level between FM and AM
detectors). One wonders what variety Kaito USA is selling.

Still, the PL660 is a versatile performer. It uses the same sync detector
chip that the Sony SW7600 family uses, and has been one of the features
that worked as designed even from the get-go.